Preparing your vehicle for the frigid months that lay ahead during those winter months is nonnegotiable. Driving a car that has not been properly maintained for the winter weather is quite simply a bad idea. Be sure to visit your auto shop for an inspection of the vital components that will help you drive safely through hazardous conditions.
There are some significant advantages for the pre-winter maintenance that goes further than peace of mind knowing that your car won't leave you stranded in a dark, cold, winters night. Gasoline mileage is improved, air pollution is decreased, and any possible issues can be discovered and repaired before they become a major expense.
If your car has existing issues, such as stalling, rough idling, or any other concern, be sure to ask your auto shop to check it out. Existing problems will be amplified with cold temperatures and weather. Here are a few items to have checked out at your auto shop:
* Check the battery life. This can only be done by a professional with the appropriate equipment.
* Check the lights and bulbs. Any light bulbs that have burned out should be replaced immediately.
* Filters should be checked and replaced by the auto shop. This will keep the engine running at its best and maintain an efficient gas mileage.
* Heater and defroster must be in working condition for safety and comfort.
* Windshield wiper blades should be checked and replaced, if needed. Rubber-clad blades may be a better choice for extreme winter weather. Top off windshield washer fluid, too.
* Tires are a must on the winter maintenance check list. Tires that are worn out, uneven, cupping, or have cuts should be replaced.
* Brakes are another item on the check list. Prevent costly repairs and ensure safety of all who ride in the vehicle by having the brakes checked.
A trip to the auto center before the cold weather begins is a must. Contact our ASE Certified technicians at Kestner Automotive today for more information about winter readiness and to schedule an appointment. Our auto shop proudly serves residents in Lexington, SC, and the surrounding area.